Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Apocalypse is Postponed

or at least one study suggests it may be.

As climate change accelerates ice melt in the Arctic, polar bears may find caribou and snow geese replacing seals as an important food source, shows a recent study published in the journal PLOS ONE. The research, by Linda Gormezano and Robert Rockwell at the American Museum of Natural History, is based on new computations incorporating caloric energy from terrestrial food sources and indicates that the bears' extended stays on land may not be as grim as previously suggested.


In other words, the polar bears probably won't starve to death.  You're fear and anxiety were so much wasted energy.

Everywhere I look I see contemporary man filled with fear and anxiety.  Hence my reticence to emulate to conform to what makes a man "contemporary."

I'd rather be a dinosaur at peace with himself and the world in it than to walk around on eggshells, always afraid to offend, always thinking what it means to be a classical human is offensive.

I kill to eat.
I am a tribal animal.
I am both an individual and member of a communtiy.

Honey badger don't care.  Polar bear don't care.  Wiscur don't care.

That doesn't mean I do not want to be the best human I am capable of being.  Race horses want to win.  Cats want to kill.  I want to emulate the best of what it is to be "man."  I want to embody the classical virtues: courage, temperence, justice, and prudence.

I don't count catastrophic thinking amongst the human virtues.

I don't care if the woman on TV is quoting Dick Cheny trying to make you afraid of Iraqi nuclear weapons, Barak Obama trying to make you afraid of global warming, or the cashier at Best Buy pushing the extended warrenty, they are using fear to sell you something.

Refuse to be sold.  Refuse to be afraid.

Repeat after me,
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”


You should not be surprised when the fear peddled to the masses turns out to be 
overblown.  We should not be surprised when it turns out the world will keep on spinning even if the globe warms.


News Flash: Mass Marketing Lies
We will face obstacles in the future and global warming may well be one of them, but don't buy into the fear.  Yes, we will have to let go of some of the things we love, but who lied to you telling you the universe passed without change or loss?

Danger is real.  Fear is in your head. 

Fear is introduced in order to make you irrational, to make you act quickly so you will accept the choices as they are framed to you, so you will buy what is being sold.  Fear never solved a problem, fear never questioned the two false choices being offered.  Critical thought takes place in the absence of fear.

We are driving change on this planet.  That ship has long left the harbor.  It is time to own this fact rather than lament it, to own and adapt to change rather than fear it.  It is time to realize that while we are a key influence, there is much we can not control. 

Change the things we can.
Accept the things we cannot change. 
Wisdom to know the difference.
Homo Sapien: Tribal, Cosmopolitan, Realist, Unafraid

This is the Anthropocene, let's do it rationally and neither hyped up on fear or asleep in front of the television.

So I am glad it looks as if the polar bears will adapt to changes in their enviroment.  I am not surprised, they are survivors.  Just like their fellow apex predator: Homo sapien.

Edit: Oh yeah, and despite what Al Gore predicted, we are well into a period of low hurricane activity.  Though when it returns to normal or goes above (remember to get average will we have as many years with increased activity as subdued activity), I am sure you will hear about; and you will be told to be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment