Sunday, February 14, 2016

Hay delivery

The last few years we have fed large round bales through the winter.

They are delivered before the first snow and a neighbor moves them all up hill.  I roll them down hill as we have need.  Either my calculations were bad this last fall or the sheep have wasted more hay than normal.  Of course if anyone is to blame for not taking into account wastage, it is me.

Sheep are not interested in thrift.

There is way too much ice to have large bales of hay moved around, so it is time to resort to the time tested method of feeding small bales.  In the loft of our small barn we can fit 50-80 bales depending upon their size.  More can be fit in the storage side of the barn.

A 120 bales delivered with two of my three helpers ready to go.
Thanks to them I only had to carry 116 bales up the hill to the barn

The third helper was in the loft doing the stacking.  


It was cold enough, I don't even care that this guy could reach through to steal some nibbles.
118 bales later.

The Icelandic Sheep approve of the new hay.
When I came in this man-pup was doing push-ups.  I guess I need to find some harder jobs.






No comments:

Post a Comment