Saturday, December 5, 2015

Walking the Chequamegon

I spent five hours on the road (round trip) to spend four hours in Chequamegon National Forest on Friday.

I should have procrastinated the writing I did that morning.
I should have bought breakfast on the road.

It was a wonderful 42 degrees.  I should have done anything else necessary to get more time out there.

My efforts were focused on looking at 40 acres for sale that can only be accessed through the forest.  Even though the land is privately owned, it is part of a tax break program that grants access for public access, so I didn't need to contact a realtor before setting out.  I'd hate to bother anyone anyway.  I don't have the free cash flow to buy it.  If you're sitting on 30 thousand and looking for some ruffled grouse hunting land or a base for your Northland adventures, however, let me know.  My only finders fee is lifelong camping rights.

While we were out, we set out to check out areas where I might look for shed antlers in the spring and to poke our head out of the forest to see the East Fork of the Chippewa River.  It was an awesome day with some awesome dogs.

Terriers, Assemble!

The property has a fresh water spring, a great way to keep your beer cold and a good indication that a sand point well would be enough to provide fresh water.

Next to the spring

Another angle

A camp site with southern exposure.

The conditions were excellent for holding sign.  There was more wolf than deer or any other animal.  It mostly seemed to have been left by a pair traveling together.  Even Sparta kept close.  We did see a lot of ruffled grouse habitat, most of it just beyond "No Trespassing" signs.

Does Fidelity National Bank really check those alleged trail cams?  If so, how do I get that job?  Could I hunt grouse on my lunch break?

There was a trail on map that had not been maintained for years.  A cairn confirmed we were on the right track.

A raptor sized nest at eye level.  What nests at five feet high just ten feet off of an ATV trail?

Den!

East Fork of the Chippewa River.

A good hard "leave it" command kept the dogs off the ice.

Sun-setting on the East Fork.

We just barely beat nightfall back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment