Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Three Knives for Three kinds of Living


I live at least three different kinds of lives.

The Gerber on the left is for farm work.  It is great for cutting twine or using the blunt end to wack a ram in the nose when he makes a charge for your knee. While it is a very practical tool. I am not that emotionally attached to it.  I don't go out of my way to abuse it, but neither do I feel a need to go out of my way to preserve it.

The Opinel at the top is my general carry.  It looks nice and feels good cutting a block of cheese.  It is sharp and sturdy enough to cut a piece of radiator hose along the highway.  It is a wonderful all around knife and it is the cheapest of the three.  It is light, functional, and all the expense went into the working edge.  If I thought world wide trade was about to break down, I'd buy three and if not misused might have two to pass on to my children.

If I had to name one complaint it would be that I'm still trying to figure out how to get the blade shine again.  It keeps a stain about as well as it keeps an edge.

"Little Stubby" on the far right is for those occasions when I have no anticipation of needing a knife and want to keep my pockets clear of clutter.  It fits well into the fifth pocket of my jeans and pants.  This is the first time I've ever been able to make use of that fifth pocket.  It holds an edge, looks nice enough to pull out in more refined company, and its diminutive size means even the most sensitive city kid doesn't mistake this tool for a weapon.

Any of them will gut a deer in a pinch.

2 comments:

  1. Opinel. God's gift, Had them since I was a kid and got my first one in Sweden I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first but I am really, really liking it.

    After spending 40 minutes putting "Little Stubby" back together yesterday evening after the screw came loose in the wash, I am even more fond of the simple design of the Opinel.

    ReplyDelete